Wow. I’ve been really busy….ridiculously busy if you will. The only reason I have time to write this post is because I’m traveling from Hollis to Ketchikan in hopes of getting to Anchorage and then down to Kenai by tomorrow morning for a conference. Oh the life of Alaskan teacher. Where do I begin?
So yes, I moved to Thorne Bay. I am now a proud full-time teacher, which is pretty great. I’m currently teaching a 3-5th grade reading, math and spelling group in the morning and 6th grade Language Arts, Middle School Health, and the real kicker, Entrepreneurship in afternoon to high schoolers. I am busy, to say the least, but I am SO happy to be out of Coffman Cove and in the great city Thorne Bay. Here’s why (in order of greatness):
1. Thorne Bay School has a Principal and a secretary, which mean, I DON’T HAVE to play either one of those roles. HIP HIP HOORAY!!! I hate, hate (HATED), HATED being Lead Teacher and everything that entails. I am so HAPPY to be focused on TEACHING.
2. My living situation has improved by approximately 1000%. Not only is there running water, but the apartment has heat, Internet, cable, cellphone reception, AND my rent is cheaper. I WIN.
3. Thorne Bay Market (aka Alaskan & Proud = awesome grocery store): a grocery store in town. What!?!
I still think that it’s GD ridiculous that I was asked to move and take on a whole new course load over night but it makes me feel a lot more secure about next year. Our district lost a bunch of money from timber sales this year which means that we are looking at cutting at least 4 fulltime teachers. I was def scarred for my job and didn’t think that fulltime employment would even be an option. There are still no guarantees but I feel better about the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment