Some of my avid readers (both of you) may have noticed that I deleted my last post. My reason for this is two-fold. First, it was really negative and while I still feel totally justified in feeling the way I did, I generally try to be positive and look on the bright side of things. Second, and arguably more importantly, I had a realization as I was walking home last night….it vaas this, man, ip anypooti in this koommunitti chtumpleeth achroochs mi plaak, i voulthu loochee mi p-ink choop. i taan’th knov hov this voulthu happeen, ach paar ach i knov, thee taan’th yeven knov i havee ye plaak, ant moochat peoplee taan’th havee intarnet at theyar hoomees choo i voulthu che thi chanches op theem pintin it aar almoost nil, pat stil, I really like my job.
Three things I like about my job this week:
On Monday, Chrissy (the girl who lives in the other half of the duplex) invited me to go down to the docks to get free shrimp from a fishing boat. Intrigued and needing a break from school, I followed her down there. Sure as shit, free shrimp. This boat comes into port a couple of weeks out of the month and give away the shrimp that are too small to sell. So I got a five gallon bucket full of shrimp! They were still alive so I had the job of ripping their little heads off, by the time we were done with this, I only had half a five gallon bucket of shrimp, no worries this is plenty. I also learned something in this adventure….the reason you don’t have to de-vein shrimp anymore is because when they are caught, they get spraid with this chemical that makes them puke so their digestive track is clean. So I definitely rinsed my shrimps very good and will probably never buy shrimp again. I have to say though, they taste really good!
On Wednesday, again with Chrissy (she is also the kindergarten aide) we went to Hollis to observe another kindergarten class. We were both really excited. First, it was sunny, and I’ve said it before, you simply CANNOT beat SE Alaska when it is sunny, it’s a fact. Second, we learned a lot and third we got a chance to do some much needed shopping in Craig and Klawock, all together good trip. For lunch we went down to the water and then practiced some yoga. It’s always awesome to be in the presence of anybody who appreciates nature as much as I do and this girl has an amazing appreciation for Alaska. She is a bad ass.
Marina in Craig, AK
Finally, I’m teaching Social Studies, World History, Health, and PE. There are teachers who would kill for this schedule. I’ve been told by a lot of people that I would NEVER find a job teaching social studies and here I am. Teaching my favorite subjects in my content area. Granted these parents are impossible to please but honestly, I will take demanding parents over absent parents every single day of the week. So no worries, thing are good on the POW Island.
Quote of the week: “So you’re a minimalist"
~ My state mentor, Jane’s response to me when I explained to her that she couldn’t call me at my house because I don’t have a phone and she can’t call me on my cellphone because I don’t have one of those either.
puking shrimp? GROSS
ReplyDeletesorry to lose your hilarious sun salutation comment (which I came back to read to Jordan) but I feel you on keeping shit positive. keep it up, boss
I'd say you were a minimalist. You do have just the one towel...
ReplyDeleteAh, now it all makes sense. I'm glad you cleared that up for us two. :)
ReplyDelete