Sunday, September 25, 2011

"Down South"

Three Warrior III's
Kasaan, AK

This is what people refer to the lower 48 as, for example, "My aunt is from down south." It cracks me up every time. I'm not sure why, I think it's because it reminds me of the "dirty south" which I would consider Mississippi and the Carolinas. Any who, I've been meaning to share that for some time.

Friday we had a really bad storm. Winds up to 90 MPH, it was pretty impressive, it felt (and sounded) like the wind was going to rip the roof off my house. People say that the storm was unusual, but I've weathered three storms like this since I've been in Coffman. Whatever, I thought it was cool. It instantly wiped out the electricity which didn't come back on until the evening, so we didn't have any electricity for all of Friday at school. I was kind of sad because I had a huge Harvest/First day of Fall celebration planned. We still had the party but I couldn't make any of the food I wanted to, it was okay, the kids had a great time. It just kind of sucked when the water ran out. I was thinking about how funny it was that we were even at school, all things considered. Anywhere else this situation might have been considered a health hazard, the whole high winds, dark building, no running water, no phone, but James and I discussed it and we decided that even if we cancelled school, none of the kids would go home so we might as well carry on and count it as a full day. That's what we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment