| Sea Lions getting destroyed by waves near North Inian Passage |
F! I am really struggling with this move. I know that there
are two things going on here. One is just my attachment to Thorne Bay…I was
ready to go back to something that I was comfortable and familiar with: kids,
staff, town, etc. My decision to sign a contract last spring was a tough one.
Eventually I ended up signing it because I was comfortable and I didn’t have
time to look for a new job with the requirements of my current job and attempting
to finish my teaching program. My decision pretty much came down to the fact
that I was offered a full-time position in Thorne Bay, primarily teaching
social studies. Not an easy position to secure. I also took into consideration the
fact that I have friends and a sense of community in Thorne Bay. While my
living situation was not perfect, I was comfortable and could not stand the
idea of looking for a new job or worse, not teaching this year. After I signed
my contract in April I was relieved that I had done so. I knew that it was the
right decision.
Now, I’m just angry. It’s been a lot harder to get over this
situation than I was anticipating. The reality is that I don’t want to be
teaching or living in Coffman Cove. I don’t really see how this is going to
prepare me for the future. I’m a secondary social studies teacher. I don't have any interest in teaching elementary or running a school. I’m not looking
forward to all the bullshit that comes with being at such a small site.
Fundraising and PTA’s make me sick. Not to mention the people out here are so
crazy. This is not at all what I thought I was signing up for and I’m really
sad and very angry. To add insult to injury, I can’t find a place to live. So I’m currently
commuting from Thorne Bay. I’m seriously considering quitting. I don't know if I can get over this.
It's 2:10 am and I'm sitting here listening to the Amazing Rythm Aces and surfing and thought, I want to see what Emily's up to. Well, now I know. Hang in there Emily darlin...you will do what you do and do it well like always. And remember...there's always rum!! MF Winskill
ReplyDeleteM... Suck it up for one year, inform the super that he must find a replacement for next year and you expect to be reinstated to your old position and location. At least the island has power now.
ReplyDeleteP.S. Its so easy to fall asleep bobbling in a boat.