Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Yoga, Meditation, and Talkeetna

Dancer Pose, Symphony Lakes, Eagle River

My room mate Kym got home today so I am once again with out a car. No worries, I got a lot accomplished while she was gone. Happenings included: hiking, checking out Wasilla, Palmer, and Talkeetna, plenty of yoga, and Buddhist meditation.

I hiked right outside of Wasilla with my nephew Skyler. Then I hiked Wolverine Peak in Anchorage by myself. Today I went hiking in Eagle River with one of my classmates whose name is also Emily.

Yoga has taken me all over Anchorage and Palmer. I've hit up every single community yoga class this part of Alaska has to offer. I also continue to practice yoga on every hike and in the parks near my house.

My meditation practice has mostly been traditional Buddhist. I found the Anchorage Zen Center which hosts sits EVERY SINGLE DAY and Dharma talks once a week. Score! I've also found a couple of other places to sit with people around town. Pretty awesome. My new favorite hobby is listening to music and swinging (on swings-at the park). It's kind of like a swinging meditation, if you will. I do it almost every night for at least an hour. It has taken the place of drunk bike rides which use to occupy my late nights.



IPA

There is not much to Wasilla, the hometown of Sarah Palin. Just the usual big box stores and strip malls. Talkeetna on the other hand was AMAZING. A totally cute little town on the way to Denali. Added bonus: Microbrewery.

In other news, I'm trying to find a ride from Anchorage to Haines (about 800 miles) for the Southeast Alaskan State Fair next weekend. It would be perfect if the stars align and this actually happens for two reasons. First, I would be able to go to the fair AND then I could get on the ferry and head south to start TEACHING!! So positive craigslist thoughts my way, please.

The Southeast Island School District has found me a place to live, a small duplex. They want me down there as soon as possible so that I can start tutoring before school starts. If I can't find a ride I might have to fly which would be LAME because I have a bike and three bags with me!?!

In the more immediate future, I'm going to Homer next Monday to hang-out with all the hippies.

Okay, PEACE, HAPPINESS, AND FREEDOM FROM SUFFERING from Alaska

No comments:

Post a Comment