Monday, July 14, 2008

Atlin Music Festival


This last weekend, me and most of my fellow Sockeyes loaded up a van with bikes and and a canoe and went to Atlin, BC for a music festival. It was totally rad. After spending months in Skagway it is really nice to get away, even if it just for an hour (Wet Hot American Summer), we were actually there for the entire weekend. In perfect American fashion, I think we totally pissed off most of the Canadians we came in contact with. Starting with the fact that we refused to pay to get into the festival. A two-day pass was $70, who's gonna pay that? We were not going to give our hard-earned money to some Canadian tree-huggers. Instead we spent most of the day hanging out outside of the festival, listening to music, drinking, riding bikes and double-dutching. Our boss para-glided off the side of a mountain and then cooked us all beer-battered halibut, he even had a keg of beer from the Haines Brewing Company (beer+halibut=party). After the BBQ on Saturday we headed back into town to actually go inside the festival. I got in at the teenage rate ($25) and let me tell you that the music wasn't even worth that. The music was pretty bad but we made the most of it. I crowd-surfed for the first time. It was totally inappropriate. There was this girl punk/rock band. Most of the Canadian hippies were just jumping around when one of my co-workers got the idea to crowd-surf. Then we started a mash-pit. Nobody was amused except us, but we were really amused. In fact, I'm still laughing just thinking about the look on some of their faces when I was jumping into the crowd, priceless.
In other news, everything is so expensive here that I, along with my co-workers are now dumpster divers. Yeah, the grocery store is right next to my house, so during our lunch break or after work we go take a look before we actually buy anything. I got two bags of spinach and a head of cabbage today!! Luckily, there has been a lot of cottage cheese lately that is outdated so I've been enjoying a lot of that, which is good because I love cottage cheese.
I think the thing that I'm going to miss most about Alaska when I move back to civilization is the fact that it is so socially acceptable to be dirty all of the time. Everybody stinks and every body's clothes are permanently stained, usually with bike grease. I love it. I really enjoy this lifestyle. It's working for me right now. Okay, more pictures to follow.
Peace in our time and all time......

2 comments:

  1. What in the "f" is with this zero comment BS? I mean, if I don't comment, does it make it okay for NO one TO COMMENT? that is totally ubsurd.

    In Marian's adventures today.....


    well, I'm laid off (slightly lame), went to the B & I (it was like going into a foreign country), and yet again "on the job market."

    I got your email and will respond. I just had to check in on my ebs. It looks like you are having a much better time than last summer yo.

    peace for pancakes. give it a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ebs - I love the crap you write about! Don't piss off too many canucks because they are our only friends in the world right now - thanks to bushy :) have fun, stay safe - peace for pancakes (whatever that means - I'm getting old :)

    ReplyDelete