| Brain Awareness Week Project (BAW) |
I passed my Wilderness First Responder
test, so it’s official, I’m a “woofer.”
It’s basically just advanced First Aid for wilderness settings. The
class was really informative and I feel more confident about guiding so I
would say as a whole, the class was a huge success.
I was disappointed that I was in the
class with a bunch of douche bags, but what are you going to do? If you’re me,
you would just practice a lot of yoga, which is exactly what I did. Juneau is
home to two (2) yoga studios. One is an Ashtanga studio and the other practices
a mix of yoga styles. I really enjoyed practicing at both places. I’ve said it
before, the thing I miss most about civilization is the ability to
practice yoga with other people. I miss coffee, bars, and good restaurants too but not as much as
I miss my yoga community. This will inevitably force me back to a urban setting…eventually.
While in Juneau I managed to use public transportation (bus) a fare amount. Nothing unusual to report here,
Juneau’s buses, like apparently every where else in this country, are full of
crazies and drunks. In a weird way, it’s really comforting. I truly miss taking
the bus.
In the course of ten days I also
managed to visit both thrift stores and drink coffee at every single one of
their cafes, I think. I even found a place serving and selling Stumptown!! I know
right!?!
I met up with everyone single person I know in Juneau, mostly teacher friends that I've met since I've moved to Alaska, but I also met up with my friend Gordon who I worked with in Skagway four years ago. It was great, we partied, Juneau style. The highlight was definitely him singing karaoke and me doing an interpretive dance to Meatloaf's, " I would do Anything for Love." Yes, debauchery lives on.
Juneau’s airport has free Wi-Fi!?! I’m
on my way back to Thorne Bay right now. Vacation is over. No part of this has
seemed like a vacation but I am happy to go back. I really do love Prince of
Wales Island.
Contract Update: I probably won’t know
before July if I have a job next year. Awesome. I’m going to apply for a job in
Haines. Positive employment thoughts my way, please.
********We ARE the people we’ve been
waiting for***********
LOL, a "fare amount", hope you were trying to make a pun there.
ReplyDelete