Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I lead a tour in Haines yesterday...


... This is pretty exciting new considering Haines is one of my favorite places. It was really sweet, in the morning I took a short ferry ride to Haines, which I didn't get paid for, but I didn't have to pay to get to Haines which is sweet.

The scene in Haines is so different from Skagway. Much more laid back. The fact that I only did one tour was really nice. The tour was really short and easy. Just a ten mile ride to the Chilkat Lake state park. We rode for a little over two hours, but managed to see probably ten bald eagles and three grizzly bears!! I would definitely consider coming back to Haines to lead bicycle tours.
I'm going to try to get off of work early on Thursday to get back out to Glacier Point. Maybe stay the weekend, convince one of the dudes out there to marry me so that I can live out there as well. Just kidding, all I need to do to live out there is get a job with Chilkat Guides, maybe next summer. If I do make it out there, I'll take lots of pictures, try to capture the awesomeness.
In other news, the town is shrinking again. We're down to six employees at Sockeye (Skagway unit), with only four of them (including myself) living in the house. It's actually really nice after a really busy summer. I'm also back to being the only girl who works for the company in Skagway, which is fine, all the guys I live with are clean and more importantly, they eat well. Most of them can cook and 75% of them are vegetarian. Last night we took one of the spare bedrooms and made it into a "study" now we have a quiet place to read and check our email.
UPDATE: I bought my ferry ticket home. If all goes as planned I should get on a boat on Monday, September 29 and be home Friday, October 3. I'm totally excited about the ferry ride, should be a blast.
PIC: Gordon and Jacob with the tall bike. Doesn't Jacob look classy with the 40? I was able to get on the bike, but fell trying to dismount.

No comments:

Post a Comment